Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Not-so-diminuitive Afore-mentioned Follow-up

Or in other words . . . the next post I promised. So Jacob's birthday. He actually turned four on the train ride back to Grand Junction, but we took the opportunity of celebrating while we were in MI. Taking a cue from a friend (Thanks Beth) I thought I would give you a little peek at the Jacob I know. Physically, he has a mass of gorgous curly hair that I need to cut so that people will stop calling him a girl. He is a thick-bodied strong little boy. For play he loves to pretend he is hunting and horse-riding. He is cautious, not the first one to jump into an unknown. He would rather hang back and study a situation to know what he is getting into before his adventurous side is revealed. He has a good deal of commonsense, but has the ultimate guy eyes. "I can't find it Mommeeee! Where is it Mommeeee!" Right there in front of your nose, my boy. (I am really NOT exagerrating.) He works well with his hands and like to build things and take them apart. Emotionally, he has a very tender heart. He likes to please those closest to him, bringing them gifts and preferring them. He is mostly easy going but there is a fire deep down that IF he is pushed far enough . . . . I pray that God will temper him with meekness and use his deep-seated passion to someday fight injustice. Our Jacoboy is such a wonder.

Daddy took Jacob out for a breakfast date for his birthday, but before they could get going Jacob really wanted to play cars with Daddy.

The children get to pick their birthday dinners, but this year Jacob just couldn't seem to some up with anything, so we ate enchiladas.

At the birthday dinner, Uncle Ryan did his best impression of a unicorn.

Jacob got a lot of train tracks and train paraphernalia this year (from grandparents and parents) which seemed appropriate given the train ride. We were pleased that Aunt Audrey came to his party as well.

And of course, Aunt Audrey couldn't possibly have come without bringing gifts for ALL the children. Thanks Aunt Audrey!

Jacob and his cake.

Four years old is so happy. In our family you don't "officially" turn your age till the cake is being eaten.


And now for the family pictures. Jen arranged it, Dad and Joan paid for it (thank you) and the rest of us showed up cleaned and scrubbed for posing. AND amazingly it was a success. At least we think so.



And now that is post is again reaching epic proportions, I am going to keep going. This last bit is out of order, but I did not want to pass it up. Just before we left for MI my parents were in town with my grandfather and we went out to celebrate my mother's 50th birthday. It was a lovely time and I wanted to take the opportunity to tell all who read my blog what a model woman my mother is. Mothers-in-law are historically dreaded figures, but when my husband tells me that I could stand to be more like my mother, you know what a great lady Stacy Denise Boehler is. She has been the best example of kindness, service, beautiful hospitality and humility that I could wish for. You are mother, grandmother, friend, confidant, adviser, babysitter, helper and so much more to me and my family. We love you.

Are you kidding me!?! This woman does not look fifty years old. (This is on the way to her birthday restaurant.)

Eating a REALLY good piece of chocolate cake. Yes, she shared with everyone. See what I mean about her good character!

The children reminding Punkin how old she is . . . in case she forgets in her old age.

Is this the cutest 5 0 you've ever seen?

3 comments:

Nettester71 said...

Great family pictures and birthday parties and so much more.

Thanks for letting me see the family grow.

Mindy said...

The kids are getting so big--and they are as cute as ever!

Life at the Mandl's said...

Your mom looks great! Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a great time. Your kids have all changed. They look so grown up. Love your family picture. Good job!! Thanks for updating you blog :-).